Somewhere Project

 

Original Scene Photo: 

Original Personal Photo:

Artist Statement:

For this project we had to incorporate ourselves into a movie, series, or famous photo. I choose to include myself in my favorite film, Good Will Hunting. This movie has always held a special place in my heart, from heart-breaking therapy scenes to the intellectual content, and breath-taking cinematography talent from the director Gus Van Sant. The score of the film is also one of the best parts of the film. I first watched this movie after going on a Matt Damon movie watching spree with my dad. I will never forget the amazing acting that was displayed in this movie both by Matt Damon and Robin Williams.

 

To start this art piece, I began with watching the movie trying to find a scene that I thought would be easier to edit myself into. A lot of the scenes are shot with complex backgrounds that would be hard to mask and edit myself into. I played with the idea of putting myself onto the movie poster, but I could not find a good position or area to put myself into on the poster. I ended up choosing a scene where Matt Damon is working as a janitorial staff at a college and starts to solve a complex math problem that was left on the chalk board by a professor of the math department. The hallway gave an easier background to edit myself into, and there was adequate space to place myself into. I used the quick selection tool and a mask to take the background of my personal photo out and place myself into the photo. Then a took a hue/saturation mask and tried to match the colors and lighting of my photo to those of the movie scene. Also, I used a brightness and contrast mask in order to try to match the photos colors and depth better. The one problem I ran into was my photo was shot with a clearer and better-quality camera than the movie, this cases a slight difference between myself and the rest of the photo. I ended up messing with the darkness and contrast more trying to fix this problem. As well as I used the black and white brush on the mask of my photo to clean up the edges of my original direct selection of my personal photo. Overall, this was a fun project to work on. I loved being able to choose a “fake” world or scenario to throw yourself into

 

 

 





Comments

  1. Project came out very nice. I really liked this movie when I saw it. I think you did a very nice job editing yourself in, along with the lighting changes. Overall your project came out very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the concept of this. I've never seen this movie, but it looks like you're the love interest who has a crush on the oblivious main character who's only interested in math until he realizes you like him! I will say though that I wonder if you could've done something to make the image a little lighter since the combined version is darker than both your picture and the screenshot. Still though, very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! If I hadn't seen the movie, I would've thought you were actually in it. You did a great job fitting yourself into the scene with the glasses and books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this project and thought you did a incredible job of editing yourself in the photo you took for it fits perfectly and you matched all the shades very well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autoscopy Project

Business Cards