Autoscopy Project


Original Image: 
Additional Images: 









Artist Statement:

This project was one of the harder projects I had to complete this year. Starting off, I did not know what I wanted to do, or how I wanted to manipulate my image. Originally, I was only going to use nature as the images to mask and add onto my own self portrait; however, I wanted to be more original than that. I decided that I would stick with the nature theme, but add on more of an environmental conservation theme. So, I went to course of pollution, greenhouse emissions, and other ideas that revolve around activities that have been hurting the earth. I wanted to portray a contrast between hurting the earth and loving the nature it provides us with. Some of the images I included were of coal power plants, oil spills, smog in India, and trash pollution in our oceans. I also included pictures of flowers, desert floor cracks, the recycling symbol, roots, and leaves. I support environmental friendliness and that is the main reason why I choose to complete this project in this fashion. 

To start the project, I began with finding images that could relate to the topic I chose; as well as, I took a portrait to be the center of the art. In the Adobe system, Photoshop, I place the background image of leaves. Then I placed myself into the leaves through, place embedded, quick selection, and select and mask. This technique was used with each one of the photos that is included in the project. For different images I used adjustment layers, that I would link to the mask that I had made for that photo; some of the adjustment layers used were brightness/contrast and hues/saturation. Using adjustment layers allowed me to fit the color of the original photo to the both the background of the photo and the photo I wanted to place that image upon. While using the quick selection tool for masking, turning down the opacity of the photo made it easier to pick out what I was selecting underneath. The project took about two to three hours to complete. Overall, this project was difficult, but fun at the same time; it allowed for lots of creative freedom and artists choice. 





 

Comments

  1. Your project not only looks amazing! It gives off some creepy vibes to it which I think is great especially with the pollution elements in your autoscopy. It's also great to see both sides, the loving and caring side of nature and the creepy/unsettling part of nature from the pollution. Your project also sends out a great message and the ties with environmental conservation are prominent too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your project. I think it really gets your message across that while, yes, nature is beautiful, we are destroying the earth every single day. I think the eyes are my favorite part, and I love how everything in this project is very clean. Your edges are all very solid and straight. I think this was a really great idea and I also love the neat texture you put in as your skin. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Autoscopy is very powerful. With just a few images, youve been able to communicate something you care about so clearly. Visually this is very engaging to look at, every corner of yor project makes me feel different. One minute I have an extreme apprectition for nature and the next I want to go buy a tesla and then I feel bad for everytime i've ever used a plastic water bottle. I espcially like how you added the tree roots to skin that kind of symbolizes your grounding in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once I read you artist statement, I realized all the details that are in your project. You did a really good job. You're sending a powerful message.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Somewhere Project

Business Cards